Motorcycle Triumph Bonneville T100: description, characteristics and reviews from owners

Triumph Bonneville T100 2012, 865 cm3, 68 l. pp., 230 kg, 170 km/h, 570,000 rub.

text: Vladimir Zdorov photo: Evgeny Bobrikov

In the photo: Stepan Berestov

»How to distinguish a person with subtle, refined taste from someone who is simply rich? Obviously, in small details, little things that speak more about their owner than the latest generation Mercedes-Benz screaming about its price. Aesthetics and aristocracy have always been associated with good old England of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Triumph Bonneville has somehow managed to carry this English breed through the centuries, and today is a true aristocrat in the world of motorcycles...

Bonnie's story

The name of the motorcycle - Triumph Bonneville T100 - takes you back to the distant sixties, to a time when this bike captivated the hearts of thousands of motorcyclists with its classic design and decent technical characteristics. It is worth noting that literally until the mid-50s, the name Triumph was associated with Thunderbird class motorcycles (this is exactly the model that was used in the filming of The Wild One), but the Bonneville series came to the leading position a little later. At the same time, the flagship of the model range was changed not at all under the influence of an advertising campaign - technical characteristics had a significant impact on these metamorphoses. Indeed, in the period from 1956 to 1966, absolutely all world speed records were held by those motorcycles based on a 650 cc engine from Triumph Bonneville. In principle, the name itself already had quite sporting roots.

In 1956, Johnny Allen, a professional racer from Texas, set a world record by accelerating on his swallow (Devil's Arrow) to 311 km/h. His motorcycle was powered by a 650 cc Triumph in-line two-cylinder engine that ran on pure methane. This was the first model that made Triumph famous worldwide not only in the American but also in the world market.

Production

Triumph motorcycles are the British brand with the longest history. The company's first models were released in 1902. Then the company experienced difficult times and in 1991 the brand was revived again. At the moment, the line has a wide selection of vehicles: classic, cruisers, roadsters, touring, enduro touring, sports and retro models.

Triumph Bonneville continues the tradition of creating motorcycles that began in the 70s. The motorcycle has a simple, classic appearance, the color scheme is harmonious and does not contain unnecessary details. Looking at its profile, one cannot help but notice the powerful engine and the successful layout of the exhaust system elements. While driving, the engine emits a mighty roar that leaves no one indifferent.

Timeline of the Triumph Bonneville model range

"Triumph-Bonneville T120", released in 1959, literally immediately blew up the world market and became a legend during its lifetime. It was equipped with a 650 cc two-cylinder parallel twin engine and even in stock it easily reached a speed of 185 km/h, and this is a worthy indicator for serial production of those years. In addition, the Hollywood actor who starred in the film “The Great Escape” brought additional popularity to the model.

Designers and engineers worked hard over the rest of the years on the design and contents of “Bonnie” - as a result, first-class models were released, each of which has its own unique appearance and technical characteristics. So, for example, in 1972, a new, more improved Bonnie model was released - T140, which was initially equipped with a 724 cc engine of the same configuration, and later its cubic capacity increased to a volume of 744 cm3. Thanks to its technical indicators, this model could easily compete with Italian and Japanese motorcycles of the same class. The last 140th Bonnie was released in 1988 - after which there was a lull in the production of legendary motorcycles.

A new era in motorcycle history

The new history of the legendary “Bonnies” began in 2001, when the Triumph Bonneville 790 model was presented to the world audience. A little later, literally a year later, the unique Triumph Bonneville T100 motorcycle was released - a limited version, which was equipped with an engine with a displacement of 865 cm3. It is worth noting that almost until this time all models were equipped with carburetors, and since 2008 they were replaced by injectors.

Today, the model range of classic Triumphs is represented by the following versions: Bonneville SE, Triumph Bonneville T100 and Bonneville. Each of these models is a reflection of the most significant events in history: technical characteristics of the model

Looking at the 865cc parallel twin, you might think that it is a classic engine with fairly heavy carburetors. However, in fact, the model is equipped with a high-tech engine with two camshafts, an updated fuel injection system and quite impressive power.

The Triumph Bonneville T100 exemplifies the attention to detail and charisma of the 1960s. Old-fashioned mufflers, two-tone paint, powerful spoked wheels - all this indicates that this model gravitates towards the classic performance of legendary motorcycles.

The chassis of the motorcycle is represented by a telescopic fork at the front and a pendulum-type suspension with two shock absorbers at the rear. With quite serious power, the motorcycle consumes fuel economically - for example, in city driving conditions it consumes only 5.5 liters per 100 km.

I decided to tell you about this rare bike in our area, which I owned for 2 years. There is something to tell. Everything happened in 10.

A little crumpled and chaotic - sorry.

In general, impressions have not changed in 5 years - a very cool bike!

People who are infuriated by today's plastic-disposable world are simply a Must Have!

Got it in 2006 with 7 thousand miles (from the USA).

Parallel twin with a volume of 865 cc (until 2006 there was an engine of 790 cc). Air-oil cooling system... power supply - 2 carburetors with heating and a throttle position sensor. From 08 it came with injection and a digital odometer-computer (stylized to look like carbs externally) Power -67 hp. Weight 205-dry.

The choice was conscious - at that time I wanted a bike that wasn’t deadly powerful with a sea of ​​charisma... I wanted something rare. This retro bike turned up and I started preparing to buy without hesitation! I love the 60s :)

First impressions:

1.How small he is!:)Really small! For people of short stature - just a gift! With my height of 180, the leg bend is a little more than I would like. It’s only annoying when driving over 200 km. But people don’t ride such bikes very far (although people are different :)) I can only say that the XL883 is even smaller IMHO.

2.How cool everything was done! Metal everywhere! Everything is very high quality! It’s really impossible to find fault with the execution! I actually got it in the factory chrome package. Carburetor covers+brake cover+rear passenger handle+pancake bars+chain guard+top stays. The rubber grips on the tank (they are not in the photo - I glued them on later) looked very nice. Retro!

About the difference in quality and design with the “Japanese”, I can only say that the quality of workmanship is higher... not a cut above, but higher. And in terms of tactile sensations and appearance, there is no deception anywhere - if it’s chrome, then check it’s chrome! If it's metal, then it's metal! What I was most excited about was the rear wing with the reflector :) Beautiful chrome bolts even where they are not visible... in short, the external ambiance and performance are on the level! In this model, I’m glad that there’s no injection... retro should be with a carb IMHO :)

3.Charisma! Well, he doesn’t have any technological gadgets! Not at all! The “bells and whistles” of carburetors in the form of pre-start heating are funny :) No matter how many times I looked at it, it’s class! The key is inserted next to the headlight on the left side... high-quality chrome... the sound of a twin engine of normal volume... and all that... how it escaped from the times when I was not yet there :) It feels like it was made in 1965 and then someone screwed disc brakes on it! You take the tank lid in your hands and it weighs 500 grams! Heavy metal real thing:) It's like an old FED camera (read Leika) metal and quality:)

In terms of reliability, there are guys on the triumphrat.net forum in the T100 section with their reviews with a mileage of 100 thousand miles! No problems at all! I owned mine for 2 years, nothing broke. Nothing at all. I didn’t ask for money and I don’t think I would beg for money even now. Example: all Hiflo filters for 3 kopecks

Chain - 520. The set of sprockets came out around 8k

It will only get expensive if you fall and scratch all that chrome. Although until recently prices on eBay and forums were absolutely adequate.

Specifically, I got mine with almost complete factory tuning: Chrome package. Tachometer (T100 is not initially equipped with it; it is a separate part). The filler neck is on the key (in stock, we just unscrew it and that’s it :)). Cases. Everything is in the same quality as the bike itself - you want to pick it up and hang it on a keychain :)

In the saddle:

Easy to drive. Low center of gravity + narrow tires (R19/100 in front R17/130 rear (usually 150 owners install)). Vibrations are absolutely not annoying! Similar to the Boxer from BMW (up to 10 years old) There is a slight shudder at speeds above 6500, but this is practically the extreme mode of engine operation. So it’s not interesting to drive it.

The tidy is beautiful but modest. There is no fuel gauge. Only a lamp.

The engine is elastic and low-powered - you drive like on a tractor (again, similar to the younger HD). The British Custom company offers a lot of kits to increase power and volume (up to 1200 cubic meters). The gearbox surprised me with its softness and clear switching. For me, it’s similar to a BMW, but there are no problems finding neutral in static conditions. Neutral is easy to find even at idle! Box - 5 points simple! You can really squeeze the clutch with 2 fingers for a long time without getting tired - it’s very soft! I don’t understand how they did it... there is no hydraulic drive! I rate the practicality of being the only bike 100% if there is no task of driving at speeds over 150 and beyond and,! Attention!, it is far from intended for long-range driving (although the choice of tuning is wide - there are wind deflectors of all stripes). 5 minutes to a cafe racer.

The dynamics of the motorcycle are sufficient - 4 seconds to a hundred. Exactly, sufficient. Being 180 cm tall, it was very comfortable for me to sit, but for short distances (up to 300 km) - then discomfort in the legs began (I wrote above about the bend). The saddle is soft and the padding is noticeably thicker than many bikes I have sat on.

I also appreciate the passenger’s seating position. I’m not a tourist, but riding as a passenger is excellent. My copy was equipped with soft cases (this is custom equipment + frames). The bags are soft and without protection from vandals and thieves. The tank (16 liters in my opinion) is wide enough to attach a decent-sized bag to it. The frame is not made of cotton, it is quite rigid. I was surprised by the front brake - it stops a heavy bike surprisingly quickly and well! Even after several serious brakings, the brake foot does not “sink”... about the rear one - like everyone else = little information.

Consumption was always around 6 liters

Years later, there was a feeling that it was an excellent quality and “soulful” motorcycle. One of those that they say “I won’t sell; now they don’t make them like that anymore”

But life dictated its course - I sold it only for money. Do I regret it? Maybe yes.

If I had the opportunity to explain to my wife why I need 2 motorcycles, I would buy one as a motorcycle for the soul and not like everyone else.

It attracts attention no less if not more than HD

What I remember most is the attention to detail and quality in everything - the Triumph plant is full credit!

I recommend it to people who love quality and unique style.

All the best

Reviews about the motorcycle

The Triumph Bonneville T100 motorcycle, reviews of which will help you get a more detailed idea of ​​the bike, performs excellently in urban areas. Ease of control and maneuverability allows you to control it without much effort. The combination of a compact body, relatively low weight (230 kg) and decent characteristics makes it highly popular among beginners and those who prefer a calm and measured ride.

The five-speed transmission responds smoothly to every driver input and is responsive on the highway. A review from the owner of the Triumph T 100 Bonneville will help you get a more detailed understanding of the chassis and braking system of the motorcycle. Experienced bikers say that the motorcycle is easy to control throughout its entire speed range - from snail's walks in city conditions to a forced march on the verge of losing a driver's license.

Motorcycle maintenance cost

If you calculate the total cost of maintaining this motorcycle, you must take into account that the price of servicing a Triumph Bonneville motorcycle also depends on transport tax, insurance, the cost of gasoline and other things.

The average car tax will be 1,500 rubles, insurance will be around 1,000 rubles. The cost of gasoline is calculated individually based on the travel mode. If you drive intensively, you may need to change the oil; for motorcycles, synthetics are used, 10W40 or 15W40. If you change it together with the oil filter, you will need 3.8 liters for replacement, without replacing the filter - 3.3 liters. The manufacturer recommends using Mobil 1 Racing 4T or Mobil Extra 4T.

Replacement of consumables: brake pads, chain and air filter is carried out depending on the condition and intensity of use of the motorcycle.

Bonneville t100 has good performance characteristics

More details about the motor

The Bonneville T100 Black Triumph Motorcycles delivers a classic blend of power at every turn. The two-cylinder air-cooled engine with a power of 68 “horses” will move all 5 gear levels so quickly and easily that out of habit you will want to pull the paw up again. The flexibility of the engine is so good that it allows you to cover the city range in any gear - from second to last. So, for example, having made a gentleman's bet - to drive all day in third gear - you can win it with honor, while never falling behind the flow at a traffic light.

However, there is one thing, despite the maneuverability and decent technical characteristics of the motorcycle. The Triumph Bonneville cannot be called a streetfight car. There are two obvious reasons for this: firstly, because Sting correctly said: “Gentleman will walk...”, and secondly, the classic “Bonnie” really lacks serious brakes (the front disc looks very stylish and impressive, but this is not enough ).

For those who truly love Bonny

Triumph Bonneville T100 Black is a legendary model that will help you go back to the past, to the times of playful girls who wore polka dot dresses, good music and lightness. Despite the fact that there are currently a huge number of models of the same price, but with more improved technical characteristics, the Bonnie will always remain a favorite of those who appreciate classic models and prefer high-speed style.

Of course, the appearance of the motorcycle also dictates the characteristics of the biker’s style. Faded jeans and a biker jacket, round sunglasses and slight stubble, black leather and military boots, as well as the brutal smell of eau de toilette and a craving for romance - this is exactly what you want when looking at the legendary Triumph Bonneville model.

Rating
( 2 ratings, average 4 out of 5 )
Did you like the article? Share with friends:
For any suggestions regarding the site: [email protected]
Для любых предложений по сайту: [email protected]